School Counseling » Career & College Resources

Career & College Resources

Are you searching for a career to match your interests?
Do you need help paying for college?
Are you wondering which college or technical program will prepare you best for your career choice?
Are you considering if the military is right for you?
Would you like to get paid while you are trained through an apprenticeship?
Before you invest in your education and training, do your homework and check out these resources to help guide you through your training options available.
For additional information, please contact Kathleen Proud in the CTE Center at the high school, or by phone at 509-464-8380 or email [email protected]

Financial Aid Appeals

Have your financial circumstances changed?
If someone in your family has lost a job or is working less, colleges may be able to provide more financial aid:
If you’ve already filed a FAFSA or WASFA, talk to the financial aid office about your situation. If you haven’t applied for financial aid, it’s not too late. Submit your application, then follow up with the college about any recent change in circumstances.
What situations could change the amount of money I get?
Colleges typically consider the following circumstances when determining whether to adjust financial aid:
You or your parent(s) lost a job and are now unemployed.
Your household income has changed significantly, or you've experienced a loss of benefits, such as child support.
Someone in your household has to pay unusual medical or dental bills not covered by insurance.

What kind of proof or documentation do I need to provide?
Requirements vary. You may be asked to complete a form, submit a formal letter, or otherwise verify how your financial aid eligibility has changed. Contact the financial aid office at your college for instructions.
What if I haven’t applied yet?
If you have not yet filed a FAFSA or WASFA financial aid application, there’s still time, and you will need to do so. Yes, the application is based on a previous year’s taxes. Submit your application—even if it doesn’t represent your current circumstances—then follow up with the financial aid office about changes.
Where can I get help?
The financial aid office at the college you plan to attend is the best resource to answer questions based on your specific circumstances.
SwiftStudent is a free digital tool for college students to learn about the financial aid appeals process.
Never pay for assistance with the financial aid appeals process. If you need help, stick with free resources.

Youth in Foster Care

If you have been in foster care any time after age 13, there are money and resources available to help you go to college at most Washington State schools, including vocational training, two-, and four-year options. Check out the Washington Student Achievement Council or INDEPENDENCE for additional information and links.

Make It Happen!  is a three-day, two-night college campus experience for youth in and alumni of the Washington state foster care system. The free summer program includes college readiness workshops, resource connection events, and opportunities for strengthening supportive networks. As a result of attending MIH, students will feel more equipped to develop and initiate their post-secondary education plans. High school sophomores, juniors, and seniors are invited to apply to attend this camp. For more information, contact College Success Foundation or by phone at 425-213-5888.
Supplemental Education Transition Planning Program (SETuP)

The Supplemental Education Transition Planning program (SETuP) provides information to youth, foster families, and school staff about post-high school education and training opportunities for youth in foster care.